Thursday, June 20, 2013

What Motivates Photojournalists?

Mamiya 7II / Velvia 50 film / © Copyright Steve Coleman. All rights retained. All images are registered with the United States Copyright Office. Photographer - Steve Coleman
Source - http://www.lightinframeblog.com/why-photography/

While searching for what motivates photojournalists I came across many stories of adventure and people using photography to escape their mundane lives.  One gentleman I read about was Mr. Steve Coleman.  He wrote an article about himself titled "Why Photography".  I found one paragraph to be extremely compelling as he exposes his motivation.  He said "For me, I know that photographing a landscape brings a sense of balance into my life. It for fills many needs in me, a need to build and create something.  A need to be closely in touch with those things in life which are real and natural; I think it is a counter balance to what can be a  very artificial and unnatural world in which we live and work. Photography for fills a need in me to escape and have time-out; time for me. It enables my yearning to wander, explore and discover."  As I read that I thought to myself wow that is a completely different drive than anything that would motivate me.  I found his statement to be intriguing and I love how he uses his work to "counter balance" his perception of the world.  I find nature beautiful and compelling when you reach the top of the mountain; but I don't see it as a way to escape the world I live in - I embrace it as the beauty in my natural world.


Photographer - Tyler Sharp
Source - http://www.pictorymag.com/featured-contributors/tyler-sharp/





















Photographer - Unknown

The next gentleman I found intriguing was Mr. Tyler Sharp.  He was featured in Pictory as a Featured Contributor.  He was asked what his favorite things to photograph were and he responded with "Serendipity.  I am a very spiritual person, and I try to let that guide my photography and storytelling as much as possible."  That struck home with me as I thought that is exactly what would guide and motivate me.  I'm a very spiritual person as well, and I appreciate the beauty of this world whenever I get the chance to do so.  Often times I'm chasing one of my small children, but every now and then I get a chance to just soak in a beautiful sunset on a drive home.  He also mentioned how "when you approach subjects or locations with a respect and a genuine interest in the culture, serendipitous, soulful moments find you."  I feel like that statement alone would be my cornerstone if I were a photojournalist.



MARCUS BLEASDALE
Photographer - Marcus Bleasdale
Source - http://www.poyi.org/66/21/



Photographer - Unknown
Source - http://starvedforattention.org/press.php

I saved the best photojournalist for last with Mr. Marcus Bleasdale.  He was a former banker making a large annual income who turned into a world famous photographer; almost by accident.  His story fascinated me and he had many motivations for leaving his high paying job.  In an article titled "Career change: Banker-turned-photojournalist" he says he couldn't be happier and "I like life being raw".  He would go on to say "I knew I didn’t want to be a banker any more, but to find the motivation to resign and do something else was difficult, so I was always putting it off, but I just looked at this guy, and something inside my head clicked. I walked into my boss’s office and resigned. I didn’t want to be part of something that could take a massacre and turn it into dollars. It repulsed me."  His photographs have been widely used in the US Senate, United Nations, every major magazine, and they are extremely powerful.  He uses his work to bring an awareness to the world, of the activities going on outside of their living rooms.  That kind of motivation is inspirational, and I love that he had the courage to leave the comfort of a high paying job to seek the thrill of changing the world.  

Garvey Motivations

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=85c812701a&view=att&th=13f64d4ad5a78b4a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_vuSY5u10byYB0uMrRBQwy&sadet=1372018128740&sads=WtmM5qoxEY1moEzX2r0o2wx0Bek&sadssc=1












No comments:

Post a Comment