Friday, June 14, 2013

Ethics of Photojournalism

Screen Shot 2012-02-10 At 09.56.06
Photographer - Thomas Hoepker
Source - http://listverse.com/2012/02/10/10-controversial-pictures/

I came across this photograph while researching other projects and it made me wonder if it was real. As I started into my research of ethics in the world of photojournalism I was looking into the most controversial photos and sure enough I found out this was in fact a real photo. The upsetting part is beside the actual individuals who apparently show no remorse for their country that is being terrorized, the photographer Mr. Thomas Hoepker didn't even tell them he was taking their picture. Mr. Hoepker waited 5 years to make the photo public, and when it was released in 2006 by the New York Times it caused quite a stir.

In the article titled "10 Controversial Photos" it says how Mr. Hoepker took thousands of pictures of the 9/11 terrorist attacks; but this would be the one remembered. I realize photographers must scour the earth to land "the great one" but at what cost? Do they need to put their personal ethics and integrity behind to capture the picture that will make headlines? I believe it happens all the time, and as troubling as it is, I have to believe that if I were the photographer I would do things differently.

I would capture images of people in public to get there natural responses without altering the photo; but I'm sensitive to others emotions and I would notify them after I took the shot. If any of the people I photographed were extremely upset by the photo I wouldn't release it. I find honesty and courtesy to be essential while dealing with the general public. I do a lot of volunteer work and you have to create trust with people you don't know. You can't take pictures of unsuspecting individuals relaxing while their country was under attack, and then write in an article “The young people in Mr. Hoepker’s photo aren’t necessarily callous (insensitive). They’re just American.” This is a country that likes to move on, and fast." The article I read when on to say "The people in the picture have responded to the media by saying that they were in “a profound state of shock and disbelief.” They have ridiculed Hoepker saying that he took the picture without permission and in a way that misrepresented their feelings."

Whatever the case may be, I believe Mr. Hoepker saw an opportunity that may have crossed his own ethical line; but the chance was too good to let slip away. The photograph will always be in circulation, and the individuals will probably always deny their body language, but once again - A picture speaks a 1,000 words.

photo.JPG


No comments:

Post a Comment