Friday, May 31, 2013

The Art of Photojournalism

Musee d'Orsay black and white HDR Paris by Martin Soler

Photographer -  Martin Soler
Year Created - May 2011
Source - http://martinsoler.com/2011/05/08/musee-dorsay-black-and-white-hdr-paris/

Use of lines - The photographer used the lines to directly lead me to the focal point in 
the picture.  There are several things that could grab your attention, but the lines direct 
you to the statue.

Texture - The building in the background carries a great deal of texture with the bricks 
and ridges.  This adds an extra element to the image and helps the statue stand out with its 
smooth texture.

Is the image black & white or color? - The image was produced in black and white 
which helped capture certain elements within the photo.  Although I would love to see 
this image in color to distinguish how the use of lines would appear in its natural setting. 

I chose this photo because I have just begun my journey learning about the use of lines 
in photography, and I feel Mr. Soler did a great job capturing this technique within this 
image.

 
Photographer - Lynne Ayers
Year Created - August 2012

Use of Shadows - The shadows of the individuals were used to break up the pattern of the 
patio they were standing on.  By doing this is made the photo more engaging to me.

In or out of focus - Certain parts of the photo remained sharp (the patio and the railings) 
but the people in the image appear soft.  I believe the photographer did this to keep the focus 
on the dark to light contrast, while giving the viewers multiple places to appreciate.

Contrast - The photographer did an excellent job of dividing the photo into separate contrasts
throughout the photo.  The multiple use of contrast from the dark and light areas enhances the 
photo while your eyes travel throughout the picture.

I chose this photograph because I loved the patio design and how the shadows of the people 
broke up the design.  I felt like this was a picture you could look at for awhile and still find new 
characteristics and details within it.

Using Horizontal, Vertical and Diagonal Lines in Photography
Photographer - Alexander Pyatiletov
Year Created - April 2011

Rule of thirds - If you placed this photograph into thirds vertically you would see how the 
photographer slightly offset the woman from the center.

Contrast Appropriate - This is a high contrast photo with lots of bright and dark areas.  The 
darkness of the trees adds to the element of the infinite and lost feeling in the woods.  But the 
brightness and relaxed expression of the woman contradicts the darkness and lost feeling.

Subject's Expression - The woman appears to be relaxed in the depth of woods without 
shoes.  I feel her arms are overly posed for this shot, and gives you the impression she is 
doing it for the camera.   

I chose this photograph because the woman reminded me off my wife and her figure.  I 
enjoyed the element of the beautiful woman at peace deep within the forest.

Mother Theresa by Max Vadukul
Photographer - Max Vadukul
Year Created - 1997

Obvious main subject - Mother Teresa consumes about 4/5 of this image, and this
is a great shot.

KEEP IT SIMPLE - The photographer used the "fly on the wall approach" and let
Mother Teresa's face do the talking for the picture.

What feelings does the image create? - This image captured the very essence of who
Mother Teresa was.  Even in her old age I can see and feel the passion in her eyes.
Her skin looks tired and worn, but her determination is what I feel when I look at her face.

I chose this picture because I am inspired by people who live their lives with a purpose.
I feel like few people have, or ever will inspire people like Mother Teresa did.
She is a Godly icon and I love and appreciate that.



No comments:

Post a Comment